Estimation

9 02 2013

We were studying estimation last lesson. As I read the program I noticed the suggestion that the students estimate the number of lollies in a jar. The only jar I could find was

photo

The only lollies we had were snakes which added to the complexity of the task.

The class embraced the challenge with enthusiasm. As I collected the guesses I noted the range of responses. Luckily there was one student who guessed correctly. I then asked what strategies they used. To my astonishment, one pair informed me that they had jumped onto the internet and googled the average weight of a snake. What a brilliant strategy! Unfortunately their response was not the correct one.

As the class left the lesson I produced a pair of tongs from a plastic bag and gave each student a snake. The winner received three.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: